Friday, March 28, 2014

Happy Shamrock-ing Applique

HAPPY (LATE) ST. PATRICKS DAY! 


This is one of my favorite holidays! 
Why you ask, well.. as my four year old will tell you, "Mommy loves Green!" It is true. I do! 

So, what better way to celebrate a happy day filled with everything green then to create something Green I can enjoy year round. The technique used for this project is found on Urban Threads (Big Surprise, huh?!) under Tutorials, or click this link to check it out! 

We will be using a low density embriodery design to create an appliqué embroidery design. I feel like I should've known about this technique before now, but oh well, I'll make up for lost time and start stitching! 

Here is the design I stitched. I just couldn't help myself! 


Cute little shamrocks! 

What a great design, such nice detail! 

I had so much fun stitching these guys out. 

I ended up using a nice Kona Cotton for the base and some scraps of silk dupioni for the "appliqué" base on the shamrocks. The coolest thing about how these stitch out is that it looks variegated. To get this look you will want to make sure you have three thread colors that go from light to dark. I did my lightest in the middle but you could get a cool effect by doing it in the reverse. If you look closely at the silver background shamrock you can see I actually used a variegated thread, which I think came out pretty cool looking too. 

Once you read through the tutorial you will probably be surprised that you didn't think of doing this earlier too! I love how easy it is, though I do have to say that a nice pair of small embroidery scissors makes a huge difference when you go to cut around the edge of your design. 

I'm sure you are wondering what this beautiful design will be made into.. well, you'll just have to check back next month to find out! Stay tuned because it is a great little project from another of my favorite online sources! 

Here's hoping to seeing a bit more green outside! 

Until then Happy Sewing,
Enjoli (and Gertrude) 

No comments:

Post a Comment