Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sometimes Done is better than Perfect!

Sometimes I feel like I have a better working relationship with my seam ripper than my sewing machine! (Sorry Gert!) And some days I wish those corners would just magically match up with no effort on my part. And most days I am afraid that if anyone looks too closely at my project they will see all my imperfections (or the chocolate smear from a helpful little munchkin).

I worry, stew, throw my hands up in the air and decide I'll seam rip tomorrow. Then I go to bed. Of course I lay in bed and wonder "Should I seam rip? Should I just keep sewing? It will quilt out right?". I find myself agonizing over something that is supposed to be fun. I mean isn't that why I sew, to enjoy myself and relax? I do it for the satisfaction of saying, "Yes I made that!". And yet I criticize myself the whole way.

Of course, after a good nights sleep, I come back to the project and realize, "I don't have time to seam rip!" I have maybe 10 minutes before the kids realize I'm gone and hunt me down! So I remind myself.. "This is for me, I'm supposed to enjoy this!" and I just keep sewing. And most of the time, I can't even find that imperfection again.

I finally realized that if I tried to match every corner perfectly, I would drive myself crazy and would not enjoy the process or the finished product. I realized that I'm not perfect (despite what I tell my husband) and that it is ok if my creations have imperfections. Aren't those imperfections what make our projects unique? Isn't "handmade" about creating from the heart? Isn't it about the closeness you feel to someone who gives you a handmade item? (Just go with me on this okay guys!)

Every time I see pictures of perfect quilts, I tell myself "Anyone can do that!"; what I can do is so much better because if there ever was confusion between my project and someone else's, mine can  quickly be identified by the little imperfections! :)

The moral of the story: Take your time, enjoy the process and revel in your "little imperfections" because darn it, you meant to do it that way right?!

P.S: For those of you who make "perfect" quilts, just know that despite what I just said,
I am totally JEALOUS! :P


1 comment:

  1. Perfection is only meant for those that are putting their work in the State Fair and cannot accept criticism. Take pride in your accomplishments even if they are a little flawed. Love will conquer all.

    ReplyDelete