Sunday, June 29, 2014

I heart Hexies!

I am kind of on a hexagon kick right now, or so affectionately called "hexies". They are just so modern and fun! The cool thing about them is that you can do so many different things with them. 

If you aren't into EPP (aka English Paper Piecing) you can turn your beautiful hexies into a "ticker tape" style quilt, where you stitch them down as you quilt your entire piece. For example, I found this great project on an awesome site called Modern Handcraft! 




Here are the project specifics: Machine Stitched Hexagons! It just so happened that I had the same mini charm squares as her (also from Spring Quilt Market)!

The other cool thing about this project was that I got to test out the new floor for creating my quilt sandwich! Worked like a charm!


I tape my backing fabric to the floor so that it does not move while I am trying to baste the layers together. The tape is kind of hidden in the photo, but that is why the new floor is SO much better than the carpet! 


If you are a fan of EPP, you could create something like this:





Okay, so I don't really have a pattern in mind for this, though I did kind of steal the idea from Tula Pink! I am in LOVE with her "Hex on the Beach" quilt, but cannot find a kit anywhere to save my (sewing) life so I am making my own. I am using slightly larger hexagons, and probably a few less than what she uses for the kit, so I guess it's not really a copy, just more of a borrowing?! Yah, I don't know?! 

Any way.. here is my progress so far. 


Hmm.. so I guess I kinda of covered it with stuff..but all those pieces stuck together.. thats what I've done! :P I have all of my tools laid out for you to see too!


I just picked up The Bottom Line thread, which is super strong and straight wound so it doesn't curl off the spool (helps to avoid tangles). I am using Millners size 10 needles, small Gingher scissors and the Sewline glue (to secure the fabric/hexagons together). I carry all of my supplies in a handy dandy Seams Like Home vinyl bag! 

We got stuck in the Alaska summer construction on Sunday night coming back into town from Palmer so I had an extra hour and a half to work on this project! Though that extra time in the car wasn't on the top of my list as Ms. Avalyn was very vocal about how unhappy she was being stuck in the carseat for so long!

The fun thing about EPP is that is can travel, which is nice for long car or airplane rides, or even just a great way work on a project while re-watching your favorite TV Series (Yes, I am watching "Friends"!) or movie. 

The only bad thing I've discovered about EPP is that I miss out on bonding time with Gertrude. :P 

CONTEST ALERT!!

So, I am curious, how many of you are EPP fans and how many are not?! Leave a comment telling me why you LOVE EPP or why you DON'T and there may just be a little prize floating around here for one of you! :) 

Happy (hand or machine) Sewing,
Enjoli (and Gertrude) 

P.S: I just discovered and awesome (kinda new) magazine! It is called Love Patchwork & Quilting, it is from the UK. You can get it at Barnes & Noble, though about 2-4 weeks behind the release date. OR you can get it through e-magazine on your Apple Newstand or Nook (I think, don't quote me). 

It is an awesome magazine and last months issue had a whole section on EPP (which you can safely blame for this post!) :) Check it out, I love it.. PLUS they always have a FREE Gift! Even for us e-zine subscribers!

5 comments:

  1. I am not currently an EPP fan, but it looks interesting and I could become one. It looks like fun with lots of possibilities. C. Steward

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried EPP yet but I always thought it looked neat and I love portable projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am developing an appreciation for them. I only EPP when I am on a plane, waiting for my kids after school activities to end or when I am camping. I am currently working on Tula's Hex on the Beach quilt - it is going take me years to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ladies,
    Thank you for participating in the contest! :) Just an FYI, I will be teaching a beginning EPP class at SLH this Fall! :) Keep an eye out for it!

    And now for the WINNER: (by random number generator!) Jessica, you are the winner! Come by Seams Like Home to pick up your prize. Or let me know if you need it mailed to you! Thanks again for playing!
    Hope to see some hexie projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!! I actually have a hexie project up on my blog called First Snow: http://craftycatstudio.com/2014/05/bloggers-quilt-festival-first-snow/

    ReplyDelete