Sunday, August 10, 2014

Quilty Habits!

This week I've been thinking about and planning out my classes. On Wednesday I start teaching a series on Free Motion Quilting! I love teaching this class because I really love Free Motion Quilting! For me, it's like sitting down and chatting with a good friend! Just like with a friend, I grab a cup of coffee, head up to my studio (see I'm calling it "my studio" now! YAY!) and get myself ready to listen, share and enjoy time spent in quiet conversation.

I was driving home from the book store today when it hit me that I have this "quilting" routine. I realized looking back that there are things that I pretty much always do.

1. I always bring up a cup of coffee!

2. I turn on all the lights in the studio! (Including Gertrude, cuz she has great light too!)

3. I turn on my iPad with either my Sigur Ros or Once Radio Pandora stations! These are my quiet, soothing stations!

4. I clear my sewing table and gather up all my quilting supplies/project to quilt.

Once I've gone through those steps, I usually lay my project out on my table and grab my quilting books. I sit with my books, look a designs and drink my coffee! It's quite relaxing! 
(Assuming my kids are all in bed and not downstairs screaming & playing!)


a few of my favorite Free Motion books
Lately, I've taken to drawing in my Angela Walters Workbook when I can't get up to the studio
My family all knows that when I'm quilting, the time, the sounds, the "quiet" of my machine running is for me! No interruptions are allowed! 

When I'm quilting, I'm usually only partially focused on my design (once I've decided what I'm doing) and am just letting my mind wander with my machine. I find that I can work through a lot of decision making, family scheduling issues and general life confusion while I am just quilting along! 

As always, even though my life is quite busy, I realize that when I come out of my studio after "quilting time" I have simultaneously made great progress on a project and solved like five problems! I come out with a triumphant spirit, determination and readiness to put my "solutions" into action! 

"Quilting time" makes me a happier Mom, happier Wife and in general much nicer person! I guard the time I spend in my studio, quilting (or sewing or whatever!) jealously, and try not to feel too guilty about it! Hey, we all need a break from reality once in awhile right?!

I hope this week finds you getting some time in your studio, whether that be an entire room, your dining room table or hidden in a converted closet! And I hope that you too are guarding it jealously! 

Happy Sewing,
Enjoli (and Gertrude) 

P.S: I'd love to hear about any great "Quilty Habits" you all have! Or any ways (aka excuses, tricks) you have to ensure you get your creative quiet time! 

P.P.S: If I'm tackling a particularly intricate quilting project, I head out and grab my favorite coffee drink of choice: Blackberry White Mocha! Yummy! I highly recommend it! 
(And now you all know what to bribe me with!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment